Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Guest Bathrooms - Initial Thoughts.

We've decided to go ahead and bite the bullet and redo our upstairs bathrooms.  One of them is off the guest room, and the other is a jack-and-jill bath between two other bedrooms.  Neither one of them is totally offensive, but they certainly lack any style.  It also really bothers Justin that they used wall tile on the floor.  I likely would have never noticed, but I could see how someone could go slipping and sliding on them, if they weren't careful.

Since they are secondary bathrooms, I really want to keep the look neutral and timeless (and budget-friendly).  Based on the images I've been pinning, it's obvious I have a strong preference -- I am heavily leaning towards mostly white bathrooms bathed (no pun intended) in white subway tile.






I can't decide whether or not I like the look of the tile on the ceiling -- I've been waffling.  I do for sure like the look of the dark grout on the floor.


Bringing in a few hints of black could help break up the white.  I like the simple thin black trim in the shower here.  I'm not a huge fan of the dark fixtures -- seems a touch heavy for me, but some polished nickel would do the trick.


This bathroom still has the subway tile, but I am digging the dark floor and dark gray vanity.  (Maybe we do something like this in the guest bathroom; and something more along the lines of the others in the jack-and-jill?)


This shower a great way to keep an all white tile space interesting -- use different sizes of tile with some well-placed trim pieces.  I am really loving this look (and the fixture is fabulous too).


Speaking of fabulous fixtures, this bathroom is amazing.  White, black and brass -- yes, please!  Of course, our guest showers aren't that luxurious, but maybe we could do something similar.  I absolutely love this look.


We were supposed to go check out various tile options this past weekend, but poor Justin ended up with a stomach virus Friday night (complete with a trip to the ER for IV fluids).  We first thought it was food poisoning, but it was definitely a stomach virus because I caught it Sunday night.  I also ended up with my own trip to the ER.  Thankfully, Justin and I are both on the mend.  
          
But back to the guest bathrooms . . . Part of me thinks I should branch out from the white subway tiles since it's in our master shower and our kitchen backsplash, but it works so darn well.  I hate to mix up what I already know I like.  What do you think?  

13 comments:

  1. I have bathroom renos on the brain too. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. long time no hear! welcome back Emily! cant wait to see the bathroom redo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are back. I adore white subway tile!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are striking bathrooms! I think number 1 is my fave. As for the tile on the ceiling, I like it when it is subtle (say, white subway with white grout) but it is too busy IMO when it is contrasting grout. I think ceiling height matters as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It works well for a reason! If you like it - keep it. We love the look in our reno'd bathroom. Great inspiration photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! I did tons of white subway tile in my kids' old bathroom. In 10 years I never tired of it. Classic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I say stick with what you love. It will always be classic and timeless. Maybe you could go with different grout colors, to switch things up. Like light gray grout on the walls in one bath with chrome fixtures, and black grout in the other with brass fixtures. Paint the walls a different color in each space, and it will look completely different! So sorry you guys were sick. Happy to hear you're on the mend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you are both better. My only advice is no tile on the ceiling. I can just imagine something happening and the tiles falling down, or getting dirty-how do you clean that? Nope.

    I like the white, back, gray combination. You can use colors to pop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man, I love all that tile, and really like the dark grout! I wouldn't think that would be my first choice, but I really love it! so clean and fresh! You do it, and let us see. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have a beautiful blog. Cheers!
    Maya
    http://jiloeastdesign.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey

    I was checking out some of the articles on your site and found this post about the topic eg (skincare) & I really loved it

    http://name5things.blogspot.com/

    Even we have a similar kind of article which I am sure you & your reader will love it.

    It will be a great help for us if you can add https://crystalglow.in/all-you-need-to-know-about-crystal-glow-advanced-brightening-cream/
    On your website.

    It might be worth a mention in your article.

    Either way, keep up the awesome work

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gracious man, I love such tile, and truly like the dull grout! I wouldn't believe that would be my best option, however I truly love it! so spotless and new! You do it, and let us see. :)..
    carpets in newcastle

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It's great to hear from you!